David Luiz has sent a classy message to his Arsenal team-mates ahead of his imminent departure from the north London club.
The Brazilian defender joined the Gunners from London rivals Chelsea in the summer of 2019 on an initial one-year contract.
Despite an up and down debut season for Arsenal, Mikel Arteta and the club’s technical director Edu rewarded the 34-year-old with a further 12 months on his deal.
Now, he has taken to Instagram to post an emotional farewell, with Luiz unlikely to feature against Brighton on Sunday due to injury.
Alongside an image of him and his Gunners team-mates in the changing room, the caption said: THANK YOU LADS!! WAS A PLEASURE !!! @arsenal (love heart emoji)”.
Plenty of Arsenal colleagues commented on the post, expressing their love for the former Chelsea man.
After returning to action in the 2-0 win over Newcastle three weeks ago, Luiz immediately suffered a hamstring injury, meaning he is a doubt for his final match as an Arsenal player.
Do you want all the latest news from around Arsenal Football Club straight to your email inbox?
Of course you do.
By signing up for our Arsenal newsletter, you will receive a twice-daily email, focused on all the latest news from the Emirates Stadium.
And, not only that, but you will get exclusive content from our club writers Chris Wheatley and Kaya Kaynak before anyone else.
You won’t miss a thing when it comes to the Gunners.
How do you sign up?
It’s easy and only takes seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article – or any article on the Arsenal section of football.london in fact – labelled ‘Get the biggest daily stories by email’ and click ‘Subscribe’.
Alternatively, you can click here and tick the Arsenal box to subscribe for our Gunners newsletter.
If you decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails, simply follow the unsubscribe link in one of the newsletters – but we don’t think you’ll want to.
Arteta recently shared his thoughts on Luiz leaving the Emirates at the end of the campaign.
He said: “We had very clear talks in the last few months.
“We already had a big decision to make last year when we had to extend his contract during the Covid world, the pay cuts and everything.
“We managed to extend that for one more season. He’s given his best: I tried to help him as much as I possibly could and the club did as well. After some conversations, we decided it’s the best way to do it now.
“First it’s the player that we have to get the maximum out of, then it’s the person. When it gets to these stages, it’s tough and it hurts because that relationship is now going to be going away, at least in not seeing him every day.”