John Terry and Cesc Fabregas shut down Neil Warnock after controversial Cesar Azpilicueta claim


John Terry and Cesc Fabregas have both jumped to Cesar Azpilicueta’s defence after Neil Warnock claimed the Chelsea defender was overrated.

Azpilicueta has been at the Blues since the summer of 2012 after signing from Marseille, but his decade-long association could come to an end this summer, with his contract at Stamford Bridge due to reach its conclusion.

There is no doubting that the 32-year-old defender has been a great servant to Chelsea, with the Spaniard winning eight major honours during his time with the west Londoners.

Despite his impressive trophy collection and the fact that he has been a prominent part in each one of those sides, Warnock claimed he had been “fortunate” to have played for Chelsea for such a long time, when speaking in a recent interview.

“It goes two ways. I think he’s been very fortunate lad to be at a club like Chelsea,” Warnock told talkSPORT on Monday.

“I don’t think he’s a great defender. Sometimes in football, you need a bit of luck and I think he’s had a bit of luck that he’s been there at the right time and at the right place.

“That’s what you need in football. You need a bit of luck to be successful.”

Seeing these controversial comments from Warnock, two of Azpilicueta’s former team-mates – Terry and Fabregas – have jumped to the Spaniard’s defence on social media.



Cesar Azpilicueta of Chelsea celebrates with the FIFA Club World Cup trophy following victory in the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2021 Final match between Chelsea and Palmeiras at Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium on February 12, 2022
Cesar Azpilicueta of Chelsea celebrates with the FIFA Club World Cup trophy

Terry wrote in a quote reply: “Is this a wind up?” along with an angry emoji and a number of trophies.

Fabregas directly replied to talkSPORT’s post with a series of emojis expressing his confusion and disagreement with Warnock’s statement.

Azpilicueta’s future at Chelsea

As mentioned above, Azpilicueta is way into the final six months of his contract at Chelsea and could leave the club as a free agent at the end of the current season.

However, when asked by Chelsea’s official media team about his future last month, the Spaniard remained coy.

He said: “As I always said, I feel I have the trust and the confidence of the club and now I am focused on every game.

“They are very tough games, and I am enjoying the moment. Eventually, the moment will come, but I am fully focused on hopefully getting as many trophies as we can and then we will see.

“I cannot say anything more than that I am really committed and have a lot of things ahead in the coming months and hopefully we can have a very good season.”





Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.