Wayne Rooney has told Edu what he wants to hear about Arsenal’s summer transfer target


Arsenal’s business in the January transfer window was deemed a success.

Not only were the club able to make space on the wage bill by offloading Mesut Ozil, Shkodran Mustafi, and Sokratis, but they also strengthened with the signings of Martin Odegaard and Mat Ryan on loan.

However, there was one mission that Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and technical director Edu weren’t able to complete before the window closed.

Prior to deadline day, the Spaniard confirmed a new left-back to provide back-up for Kieran Tierney was a priority after letting Sead Kolasinac return to Schalke on loan for the remainder of the season.

“With the departure of Kola we’re a little bit short with a left footed full back at the moment,” Arteta said in a press conference. “We can use Ainsley there, we can use Bukayo there, we can use Cedric who’s played in that position.

“We have some options.

“But a natural option to Kieran obviously we don’t, but we can adapt.”

And despite links to the likes of Ryan Bertrand and Patrick van Aanholt, no new left-back arrived at the Emirates Stadium and that has come back to haunt the Gunners.

Tierney picked up a knee injury against Liverpool a month ago and has been out of action since, meaning Granit Xhaka has been operating as a makeshift left-back in recent weeks.



Kieran Tierney participated in Wednesday's training session at London Colney. (Image: Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images).
Kieran Tierney participated in Wednesday’s training session at London Colney. (Image: Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images).

The good news for Arsenal fans is that football.london understands that a natural left-back will almost certainly be signed this summer.

One name being tipped for a move to north London, according to the Daily Mail, is that of Derby County’s Lee Buchanan who has enjoyed a breakthrough season with 18 Championship starts to his name.

At 3pm today until 11:59pm on Monday, all sports channels across the entire Reach network, including football.london, will join the boycott of social media as part of the campaign against online hate.

So far this season players at all of the capital’s top-flight clubs have been subject to horrendous abuse – from Arsenal’s Pierre Emerick Aubameyang and Willian to Tottenham’s Son Heung-min, Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham and Reece James to Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha.

No dressing room has been spared this disgusting plague. Enough is enough.

That is why the Premier League, FA, Kick It Out and Women’s Super League have been joined by clubs up and down the country as well as organisations from cricket, rugby, cycling and horse racing in staging the boycott. Above all they want the social media platforms to take more responsibility for keeping hate out of our sport.

As journalists this is not a decision we take lightly but we believe it is important that Reach titles add their voices to the calls for greater action against the epidemic of online hate and be a force for good in the communities we serve.

As the nation’s biggest sports publisher we will of course continue to create the outstanding sports content – from Premier League to local matches – for which we are famous. We just won’t be sharing this content on social over the weekend.

Our news accounts will also continue to share the biggest breaking news this weekend, including covering the impact of this boycott.

Currently developing under Wayne Rooney, the Manchester United legend has told Edu exactly what he would want to hear about Arsenal’s rumoured transfer target.

“He’s a top, top player. I’d argue he’s one of the best young left-backs in the country.

“And he can go to another level as well….no….he’s a real top player.”





Source link

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on tumblr
Tumblr
Share on stumbleupon
StumbleUpon